Best Outdoor Activities For Kids in Somerset and Hunterdon County, New Jersey
Posted March 27th, 2023
Triple Threat Elite girls lacrosse is preparing for summer! We’ve compiled some of our favorite outdoor activities for kids in Somerset and Hunterdon County, New Jersey. When we are not on the field for summer lacrosse camp, elite team practice, or youth development training, our athletes and coaches love to be outdoors in the summer with their families. With most of our staff being teachers, it is a great time for them to explore our fantastic community.
Top 10 Kid-Friendly Summer Activities In Somerset and Hunterdon County, NJ
- Hiking, Swimming, Fishing: The Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge spans over 7,700 acres and offers plenty of opportunities for hiking, bird-watching, and wildlife viewing. There are also guided tours available during the summer. The Round Valley Recreation Area is a popular spot for swimming, fishing, and hiking. The park also offers boat rentals and picnic areas for families to enjoy. Duke Farms is a beautiful 2,700-acre estate located in Hillsborough, New Jersey. You can enjoy hiking and biking trails, bird-watching, and a range of educational programs and events throughout the summer. The Sourland Mountain Preserve offers hiking trails, wildlife viewing, and educational programs for families to learn about the region’s ecology and history.
- Attend a Free Concert: The Somerset County Courthouse in downtown Somerville hosts free outdoor concerts throughout the summer. In Hunterdon County, head to Music Under the Stars, a free outdoor concert series held at Deer Path Park in Readington Township. Bring a blanket, pack a picnic, and enjoy a night of live music under the stars with the whole family.
- Take a Hot Air Balloon Ride: Experience Somerset or Hunterdon County from a new perspective by taking a hot air balloon ride over the picturesque countryside. There are several companies in the area that offer this activity.
- Attend a Local Festival or County Fair: Somerset and Hunterdon Counties host a variety of festivals and fairs throughout the summer, such as the 4-H and Agricultural Fair, the Far Hills Race Meeting, and the Clinton Farmers’ Market. These events offer food, entertainment, and plenty of fun.
- Get Some Of Jersey’s Best Produce: The Somerville Farmers Market is open on Saturdays throughout the summer, offering locally grown produce, baked goods, and artisanal products. Melick’s Town Farm has multiple locations throughout Hunterdon County, including Oldwick and Califon, and offers pick-your-own strawberries in the spring and early summer. Norz Hill Farm & Market in Hillsborough offers pick-your-own strawberries in the early summer, as well as a variety of other produce and activities for families. Some other locations include Philips Farms in Milford, Bonacorsi Family Farm in Flemington, Snyder’s Farm in Somerset, and Wightman Farms in Morristown.
- Take a Family Bike Ride: Somerset County has over 300 miles of bike trails, offering plenty of options for a leisurely ride or a challenging workout. Some popular trails include the D&R Canal Trail and the Somerset County Park Commission’s Lord Stirling Park Trail. Hunterdon County has several bike trails, including the Columbia Trail and the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park Trail. These trails offer scenic routes for families to enjoy.
- Explore The Historical Side Of New Jersey: The Prallsville Mills Historic District in Stockton is a collection of historic buildings dating back to the 1700s. Families can take a guided tour to learn about the area’s history. The Holcombe-Jimison Farmstead Museum in Lambertville is a restored 18th-century farmstead that offers tours, exhibits, and workshops for families to learn about farming and daily life during the time period. The Ross Farm in Basking Ridge is a historic farm that offers tours, workshops, and events for families to learn about farming and daily life during the 19th century.
- Explore an Arboretum or Botanical Garden: The Hunterdon County Arboretum is a beautiful park with gardens, walking trails, and educational programs for families to learn about plants and nature. The Leonard J. Buck Garden in Far Hills is a beautiful botanical garden that features unique plant species, waterfalls, and rock formations.
- Attend a Somerset Patriots Game: The Somerset Patriots are a minor league baseball team based in Bridgewater Township. Families can enjoy a fun day at the ballpark, with entertainment and activities for children.
- Go To A Mini-Golfing / Family Fun Center: There are several options for mini-golf in Somerset and Hunterdon Counties that offer mini-golf plus even more family fun. Paradise Golf Center is located in Flemington and offers an 18-hole mini golf course, a driving range, batting cages, and a snack bar. Tiki Action Park is located in Whitehouse Station and features a tropical-themed mini golf course, go-karts, batting cages, an arcade, and more. Tee-rrific Golf Center is located in Somerset and offers a 36-hole mini golf course, driving range, batting cages, and a snack bar. Bridgewater Sports Arena is located in Bridgewater and features an indoor 18-hole blacklight mini golf course, as well as ice skating, arcade games, laser tag, and a snack bar. Colonial Park Miniature Golf Course is located in Somerset and offers an 18-hole mini golf course that is surrounded by beautiful gardens and natural scenery.
About Triple Threat Elite Girls Lacrosse: Triple Threat Elite Lacrosse is a premier educator of thousands of youth annually in the sport. Our organization has become a trusted feeder program for middle schools and high schools throughout New Jersey and Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania. We start at the grassroots level at an early age by inspiring a love for the game as well as assisting in player development through the collegiate level. We do this by offering specialized training, recreational leagues, elite-level club teams, and a variety of competitive events.